BBI: Bio Based Industries Initiative
BBI: Bio- Based Industries Initiative
The Bio-based Industries Initiative is a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) between the European Commission and the Bio-based Industries Consortium (BIC). The PPP is an instrument to support industrial research and innovation, to overcome the innovation ‘valley of death’, the path from research to the marketplace. It encourages partnership with the private sector to fund and bring together the resources needed to address the challenges involved in commercialising major society-changing new technologies. The industry is organised in a Bio-based Industries Consortium. The Consortium currently brings together more than 60 European large and small companies, clusters and organisations across technology, industry, agriculture and forestry. They have all committed to invest in collaborative research, development and demonstration of bio-based technologies within the PPP.
A major public and private effort: €3.7 Billion investment in Bio-based innovation from 2014-2020 (Horizon 2020), of which €975 Million of EU funds and € 2.7 Billion of private investments.
- Feedstock: foster a sustainable biomass supply with increased productivity and building new supply chains
- Bio refineries: Optimize efficient processing through R&D and demonstrate their efficiency and economic viability at large-scale demo / flagship bi refineries.
- Markets, products and policies: develop markets for bio-based products and optimize policy frameworks.
The Bio-Based Economy concept:
2018 Annual work plan is now published!
Open for submission - 11/4/2018
Deadline for submissions - 6/9/2018
Budget - 115M Euros
4 Strategic Orientations:
Strategic Orientation 1: Foster supply of sustainable biomass feedstock to feed both existing and new value chains
- Improve the utilisation of existing feedstock sources
- Expand the exploitation of under-utilised or new feedstock for the bio-based industries
Strategic Orientation 2: Optimise efficient processing for integrated biorefineries through R&D
- Conversion of pre-treated feedstocks to bio-based chemicals and materials
- Systems modelling
Strategic Orientation 3: Develop innovative bio-based products for identified market applications
- Bio-based products that outperform fossil-based counterparts
- Proteins and active ingredients for feed/food, pharma and cosmetics
Strategic Orientation 4: Create and accelerate the market-uptake of biobased products and applications
Elaborated topics and more details: https://www.bbi-europe.eu/sites/default/files/documents/AWP%20and%20budget%202018%20adopted.pdf
BBI Projects catalogue:
BBI Strategic Innovation and Research Agenda (SIRA)
BBI Partnering is the online partnering system of the Bio-based Industries Joint Undertaking. It allows stakeholders to search and target potential partners from a database of bio-based professionals from Europe and beyond. The partnering tool assists stakeholders in all their networking activities around the annual Calls for Proposals.